It was the birthplace of the infamous William Dowsing – the village and the surrounding area, like much of East Anglia, was a hotbed of Puritan sentiment during much of the 17th century.
Laxfield was the final station on the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway, which ran from the Great Eastern Railway line at Haughley. The railway opened in 1904 and eventually closed in 1952. Mid-Suffolk Light Railway It has a significant Museum housed in a beautiful medieval Guildhall.
Nowadays it’s particularly known for the wonderful King’s Head aka The Low House